Choosing The Right Knife For Your South African Hunting Trip

Ripe with plenty of outdoor adventures and thrilling hunting experiences, 70% of land in South Africa is used for wildlife conservation, with the other 30% being government-owned national and provincial game reserves. While you’re likely no stranger to hunting, you can always improve your arsenal before heading to one of the nation’s top game reserves. From boots and the right clothes for the weather to a scope and even different types of safety gear, there’s one tool that can allow you to really take your experience to the next level. Just as important as other hunting gear, if not more so, the right knife can make the difference between a good hunt and a great hunt.

General features you’ll need in any hunting knife

A dependable knife is essential to any hunting trip, and you will find yourself in need of various different features depending on the game you are looking to hunt. However, there are a few things every hunting knife should have regardless of where you are or what you’re hunting. As is the case with the rest of your hunting gear, it’s a good idea to invest in quality craftsmanship that will stand the test of time and allow you to properly cut a variety of things even when not hunting. Aside from general quality, look for a fixed blade if you want a reliable knife that is easy to clean. And, unless you will be hunting really large game, you probably won’t need to look for a knife longer than four inches.

Smaller knives for smaller game

For smaller game, a smaller knife is always a great choice, as it will be easier to carry, sharpen and ultimately handle in order to work around the smaller game. If you plan to field dress an animal, you will want to have a knife on hand, and in this case, a smaller knife makes more sense as it can be held on your waist or in your pack. For these types of hunting experiences, you can check out an Opinel or Mora, but anybody who is going to take hunting seriously should own a C.T. Fischer Full-Tang Bushcraft knife at least once in their life. If you are going to be cutting the meat to consume, it’s also worth checking out a boning blade.

All-purpose knives for big game hunting

Some knives are designed to carry out a specific task, while others are constructed to serve as an all-purpose tool while hunting. A drop point blade is great for hunting big game as it is slightly sloped down to the point, allowing you to cut deep while still being strong enough for the biggest of game animals. High-carbon steel is a great choice as well for these types of knives due to the fact that the material often provides a sturdier knife overall. You might want to look for a wider blade, but one of the most important aspects of a big game hunting knife will be the grip and a hand guard to ensure you can use it effectively.

Staying safe around wildlife

Being equipped with the proper knife is only one component of a safe hunting experience. Ensure that you know how to handle all of your gear and equipment and that you follow the instructions of the reserve you are at. Take safety measures to ensure you are covered while you hunt, and enjoy the experience in one of the world’s top hunting spots.[/vc_column_text][vc_btn title=”View article in E-ZINE” color=”chino” align=”center” link=”url:https%3A%2F%2Fwww.africanhuntinggazette.com%2Fapr-may-june-2019%2F%23africa-hunting-gazette%2F126-127||target:%20_blank|”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_masonry_media_grid grid_id=”vc_gid:1556527135254-39d7fed5-4364-0″ include=”21392,21393″][/vc_column][/vc_row]